High blood pressure is always related to cholesterol level of the body. The doctor usually prescribes the diet to patient for at least six month and if the blood pressure is not lowered sufficiently. The doctor may advise cholesterol-lowering medications with some dietary treatment.
Medications are really more effective when combined with diet. Eat foods which are high in complex carbohydrates, starch and fiber. Poultry, fish and shellfish actually contain saturated fat, these contain fat less than meat.
The foods that you are taking, contain saturated and unsaturated fats. The unsaturated fat is further classified as polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fats and total fats is unsaturated and saturated fat. It is one of the effective steps to eat less fat to lower blood cholesterol and fat is the richest source of calories.
Person with overweight are required to lower cholesterol level to lose weight. An animal fat is a major source of saturated fat. Even butter, cheese, whole milk, ice cream and creams contain this fat which is main cause of increasing the blood cholesterol level.
Low Fat Low Cholesterol Diet is the Best Way
Trans fats are processed from the cheap vegetable oils and are more dangerous than saturated fat. They can increase the chances of narrowing of arteries which lead to heart attack. Some vegetable oils namely coconut oil, cocoa butter found in chocolate, palm kernel oil, palm oil is really high in saturated fat. Vegetable fats can be found in cookies, crackers, whipped toppings, coffee creamers, cake mixes, chips, candy bars and buttered popcorn are equally dangerous for health.
Tips for Cholesterol Lowering Foods
- A person should eat a fiber in breakfast like oatmeal, whole grain muffins, fruit, oat bran and rice bran.
- Grain breads, crackers, bagels, muffins, waffles and pancakes are made part of the diet.
- Bean soup, cold bean salad, hummus sandwiches, black bean dip and toasted soy beans as snacks are very effective in lowering cholesterol.
- To lower cholesterol naturally carrot sticks, tomato slices, oranges, apple, salad, juice and cooked vegetable are good to reduce cholesterol level.
- Raw or cooked garlic, raw onion, salmon, olive oil, almonds and walnuts are quite effective.
- Take one teaspoon of honey and lime juice in hot water daily to lower cholesterol.
- Try to make part of your diet a lecithin rich diet like egg yolk, unpasturised milk and soybeans.
- Vitamin E like sunflower seeds, safflower, sprouted seed and grains.
- Vitamins B6, choline and inositol rich diet like wheat germ, yeast or vitamin B extracted from bran are very effective source of reducing cholesterol.
- Dry seed of coriander may be boiled in glass of water and take this decoction twice a day to reduce cholesterol.
- Onion juice and Methi (Fenugreek) powder taken empty stomach is also helpful to lower cholesterol.
- Fenugreek seeds are really effective in lowering cholesterol
- Daily exercises, morning and evening walk are also very effective in decreasing level of cholesterol.