Many of us suffer from sweets cravings. No matter how hard we try, we just cannot seem to keep away from sweets. All the low calories diets and exercise become in effective due to this sweet tooth. But what is the main reason for this sweets craving? One of the chief cause of this is hormonal imbalances in the body especially insulin and serotonin imbalance. Unhealthy dieting and starvation diet is another cause. Eating disorders, premenstrual syndrome and adrenal fatigue may also cause sweet craving.
One should consult a doctor in order to find how to reduce the insatiable need to have something sweet. An accurate diagnosis will help. In addition some simple steps and lifestyle changes will go a long way in reducing such cravings.
1. One sure shot way to reduce sweet craving is to increase your protein intake. One can easily mistake yearning for protein to be longing for sweets. You can try to have an egg or a steak and see if the craving reduces.
2. You should make a conscious effort to reduce temptations in your surroundings. Try not to buy sweets and desserts. The lesser you have them in your house, the lesser will your mind drift in that direction. Go for a walk instead of having a dessert. Brushing your teeth or gargle with an antiseptic mouthwash will also help reduce the craving. Chewing on Gymnema Sylvestre leaves will help. These leaves will make any unsweetened food taste better than sweets.
3. Have a slice of fruit instead of the usual dessert. The sugar in fruit will be broken down easier than candies and processed foods.
4. Substitute desserts with lesser fat containing sweets. Like a small piece of dark chocolate when replaced with a bowl of ice cream will do wonders to your diet.
5. You must know all about what you eat. Sometimes, reading labels of processed foods will make you surprised at how rich those foods are. If you are aware of the sugar content in these foods, you can easily avoid them or substitute them for other foods,
6. You must also take steps to make changes in your overall diet. Having larger portion of proteins and fats will keep you satisfied. Having small frequent meals help. You should not skip meals. This will keep your body glucose level stable and reduce sweet cravings. You can try having a daily dose of multivitamins. This will again keep your blood sugar stable.
7. Eat a breakfast consisting of whole meals and non sweetened foods. Avoid sweets till mid day. Have a fruit instead. Try having a sweet vegetable drink. Avoid artificial sweeteners.
These simple steps will go a large way in reducing your sweet cravings.